View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
May in Jersey

One special thing that my brother and sisters do is on the first Sunday in December we visit the gravesite of our parents and youngest brother. We lay a large grave blanket and say prayers for them and other family members who have passed. We also welcome the children born in the previous year and say any special prayers needed, this year for the safe return of our nephew who is in Iraq. Years ago our sister Louise began us singing Oh Holy Night and we've continued singing it since she passed a few years ago. This carol ends, "Sleep in Heavely Peace" and it is our wish for all who have left us.

Afterwards we all go out to lunch. After lunch I hand out little gifts, a home made fruit bread for my brother and sisters (applesauce raisin this year) and a little gift for the nieces and nephews and also the grandones, lots of new little ones the past few years. My sister Pat calls me Mrs. Santa.

Chirstmas Eve and Day we spend with our children and grandchildren. Some years I invite my siblings and their famlies, along with my children and grands, to a Get Together at our house inbetween Christmas and New Years, lots of good food and company.

May in Jersey