View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Shorebird

Default 1600 quilt

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
KimT do you mean they cut every 19" after the whole long strip was finished then sewed it all back together or the quilt was 19" wide finished? I like the sound of adding the squares on the end of every strip? I bet it was very striking.
I think she was referring to what is known as a 1600 quilt.........basically, you sew all of your 2.5" strips together to make one long roll ( you can certainly add a 2.5" square at the end of each strip, in a solid color to add interest ).......THEN...you cut off either 18" or 19" ( depending on the pattern directions) from ONE END........(do this only once)........then put right sides together, and sew down one side. When you get close to the fold at the end, cut this open and continue sewing your 1/4" seam to the end.......press your seam ( my pattern calls for seams to be pressed open).......then.......again right sides together, fold this in half, and stitch using 1/4" seam down one side..........

Continue with this process until you have the dimension you want.....(generally 4 or 5 folds and seams )......you can add a border or not......

This makes a very interesting striped design.............and by removing the 18 or 19 inches at the beginning, your seams from sewing strips together are not all in one line - but are scattered throughout your quilt top.......

This makes a quick and cute quilt top........Hope this helps!!! Have a great day...