Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM
moonrise

Wink Still More Fabric Boxes - One With A "Twist"!

Yep, you guessed it! I made some more fabric boxes. I think (well, hope! LOL!) they'll be a hit at my upcoming craft fairs. I'll put the link to the instructions and the measurements I used down at the bottom of this post.

First, here's the one with a "twist". I appliqued a repro vintage hankie onto the interior fabric. It gave it a fancy, lacy look. I think it would make a really cute gift basket to put baby items in. As far as the block size of this one, I just went by the size of the hankie, and added about 3/4". The hankie wasn't perfectly square, but it turned out fine nonetheless.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441348[/ATTACH]

Next, here are two sets of nesting boxes in Halloween themes. One has pumpkins, and the other is fabric with Edgar Allen Poe's "Nevermore" theme. I used Halloween buttons and coordinating buttons on the flaps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441349[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441350[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441351[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441352[/ATTACH]

Link to the instructions: http://seaside-stitches.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html

Measurements for nesting boxes:

10" = 2" corners
12" = 2-1/2" corners
14" = 3" corners

Another tip:

I hate hate hate hand-sewing, so I "cheated" on sewing the buttons and the flaps.

First I used 6-strand embroidery floss and a large-eyed needle to tie the buttons onto the corners of the flaps. Simple as tying a knot.

Then I used hot glue to glue down the exterior flaps. The button knots end up being between the flap and the outside of the box, so they're covered completely. The knots don't show from the inside at all.

Then I used my hot glue gun and put a dab on each of the interior "wings", and glued them down.

Other than tying the buttons on, there's no hand-sewing.

(Did I mention how much I hate hand-sewing? LOL!)

Hope y'all enjoyed the pics!

Attached Thumbnails hankiebox.jpg   halloweenboxes2.jpg   halloweenboxes2-nested.jpg   halloweenboxes1.jpg   halloweenboxes1-nested.jpg