View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Joanne9of12

Don't let the templates scare you! I recently finished one of his pattern (Vintage) and I am currently working on another (Magic Carpet). I also have fabrics ready to cut for Reflecting Pool and Sunlight in the Forest, which I hope to get to this weekend. (I love to "kit up" and my fabrics so I can sit down and sew at a moments notice, even if it's for only 15 minutes at a time.)

Even though the patterns do not look like they include rotary cutting instructions, they actually do. For all of the patterns I've used, his square and rectangle templates have instructions for cutting strips across fabric and then sub-cutting. For example: From the Vintage pattern the instructions state - Template J - Cut 2" strips across width of fabric. Each strip will give you 20 patches per full width. Cut 53 - 2" squares of fabric GP70CH. ) For Template K (a triangle) - Cut 5 3/4" strips across width of fabric. Each strip will give you 24 triangles per width. Cut 5 3/4" squares, cut each square twice diagonally to form 4 triangles using the template as a guide.

For those patterns that have "odd" shapes, he does give instructions for cutting strips across the width of fabric and then using the template to cut the fabric from that. I have found that even though some of these templates are "odd," it is quite easy to translate them into rotary cutting using the angle markings on your rulers.

I think we quilters often don't recognize how much math (YUCK -that's a four letter word!) we actually know. :-)