Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Neesie

The previous I Spy swap was my first. I sent in 6 sets of colorful, kid-friendly charms, four of which I bought specifically for the swap. Among them were Hoffman California and Timeless Treasures. I don't remember the other manufacturers but none of them were low thread count or see-through. I used a Shape Cut ruler and cut them all very carefully, to 5" square. You can see most of them, in last month's swap photos. All I expected in return, was for the majority of my received charms to be suitable for use. I really don't see how that is so unreasonable. I received many very nice charms. However, like already mentioned by others, a lot of the others were cut incorrectly, several with rounded corners or jagged edges. Those cannot be used, period. At least one had a selvedge still attached. That one cannot be use, period. A good handful are thin enough, to see through to the squares beneath them. They look as if they're of very low thread count and are starched, to hold them together. I will not use a charm that looks as if it will fall apart, in the wash. Then there are those that I simply would not put into a young child's quilt, such as skulls, 'hot' lip prints, faded out prints, along with many that are otherwise just not at all interesting, to young children. I didn't count the usable ones but would be very surprised if there are even half as many charms, as I sent. Now, I had no intention of sending back the badly cut ones, as I wouldn't wish those on anyone. However, I was hoping to send back some of the 'pink princess' ones (a little girl needs only so many of those), as well as some other similar charms and the ones geared more toward older children/teens.

Charlotte and Sandra have been very understanding and generous, about this issue. However, it seems quite a few of you resent the fact that I asked about returning some of the blocks. Therefore, I'll withdraw my request, as I would never, ever expect special treatment, from any group. I do thank you, for letting me know your feelings.

As for using the unwanted charms in charity quilts, I would never give a lesser quilt to charity, than I would give to a friend. But that's just me.