Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 AM
gardnergal970

QuiltE..my piecing has been improving over the past couple of years but this exercise with accuracy on the front burner, not just something sewn together, made me much more concerned about results. When points were chopped off, I learned it only took a little effort to rip and resew. I've never done 1/2 square triangles using the larger square, sewing on the diagonal, and then trimming. I've always used templates. I revisited using the June Tailor strip cutter and was much more successful. I used Eleanor Burns ruler for flying geese and don't plan to ever use templates again. To sum it up, the extra thought and effort it took to do it right got results I'm proud of. I will never be anal so there will be some chopped points in the future just because "it's good enough" but at least now I am certain that I can do better. BTW, Michelle will be doing another Quilt Along in January which I probably will do. Mid November she will show the quilt with fabric requirements. This one will have some PP and appliqué so more skills to address.
i do need to give credit to Bonnie Hunter for the sashing idea in my scrappy quilt. She had a quilt with that technique on her blog which I like so I tried it.
I didn't get to my SYE yesterday but my scrap bins got much needed attention. At least two quilts waiting for a pattern. Have a good day all!