Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Neesie

Originally Posted by charlotte37830 View Post
I Spy Swap with a Twist Dead Line to Join is Oct 31, 2013

3. Please send 100 percent cotton only. Prewash or not prewash is exceptable . Squares should be carefully rotary cut from 100% cotton fabric. Keep in mind that your squares could end up in a child's quilt. Select fabrics that will hold up to a lot of love, wear, tears, draggin', cuddlin', washing, and trips through the dryer. Fabrics that fray easily, or are fairly easy to see through are not good candidates for this swap.
FTR - Please notice the part, in boldface. No one has complained about 'inexpensive' fabric, only see-through and very low thread count, which means lots of fraying, especially with a 1/4" seam. Applying starch does not keep the fabric from fraying, once it's washed. Inexpensive colored fabric costs no more than inexpensive white see-through fabric. There are many inexpensive fabrics, at WalMart, and at least half of them are not white and are not see-through.

I've found quite a few nice quality fabrics, at WalMart. I have several pieces from the bargain bin, for which I paid $2 a yard. I have many pieces from Hobby Lobby, for which I paid about $4 a yard (after the 30% everyday discount). I've found several dirt-cheap pieces, in Hobby Lobby's remnants (slightly less than a yard, marked down several times, to less than $2). I also shop a lot online, for great LQS brand bargains. It just isn't hard, to find decent non-see-through fabric, for very little money! If the rule of a swap is no see-through fabrics, there should be no see-through fabrics. Period. Just my opinion, of course.