Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My wife has talked to several auction houses here in recent months and they've told us the only machines that sell are the newer plastic wannabees and computerized machines. They have trouble giving away the old(er) machines.

We haven't done a yard sale here. This is a pretty dead city for anything but give away items.
It's gotten so bad we can see adds for yard sales on CL for one weekend and then the next Monday the same people put in a Freecycle add for the next weekend. My wife has gone to a couple of the Free-For-Alls and been told they couldn't sell a thing at their yard sale, but they were cleaned out during the Free For All. Her theory is the resellers are hitting the FFAs and taking stuff back to their shops.

Joe
I really can't figure out why the plastic machines sell so much at the auction houses. You might be surprised by the results you can get in a well advertised yard sale. We are about 20 minutes north of Edmonton. I advertised the sale on Kijiji (the CL here) and had people tell me they'd come from the south end of Edmonton (an hour or more depending on which part of Edmonton) and from about 45 minutes north of us for machines. I said what we would be selling, and gave very clear directions (I've only had 2 people not be able to find our house in 2 years. ) and we had a really good turn out. I do find that a lot of people refuse to pay a single thing for anything lately. It's unfortunate.

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Okay, Tammi, so you can't advertise to sell here. But you can trade.

Now, do you have a Pink Atlas and an Green Grasshopper?

If so, mail 'em to me and I'll trade you. A boiled egg, a pack of hockey cards, three pairs of socks, and an Aero bar. Deal?

Oh,.. no go on the boiled egg. Allergic. But change that to a 6 pack of Kinder eggs and we have a deal - as long as the socks are new... and if I ever come across either of those machines