Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 AM
justflyingin

Default Would some show me pictures of some quilts using "nontypical" materials -- wool, etc

I was recently donated (today) some wool fabric and wondered if some of you would post some of your quilts (charity or otherwise) using some nontypical fabrics such as wools, corduroys, satins, etc.?

This place has a manufacturing plant here in Poland and I've gotten to know the wife of the owner...but most of the fabrics they use are not typical cottons like we think of as they make high end clothing. Anyway, she let me look though a couple of boxes of fabric. I thought I'd try to make some, starting with maybe 10" squares and sash them in something coordinating to make it pull together. Since many of them are thicker than your average quilting cottons (I searched for only wovens, though, not knits), I figure that relatively simple designs might be best. however, the fabrics themselves are nice.

I almost turned down the wool blends, but when I thought about the purpose of a quilt being warmth, I couldn't--I thought I'd start by making something similar to how I use uphostery/decorator fabrics.

Any advice/tips/warnings would be welcome. And pictures? Please?