View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Aileen,

I am a really a "rank amateur", but I have decided that I will always wash and treat my fabrics before I begin working on any quilt! The first bed-size quilt I made was a white with red embroidery and red borders. My cousin in Oklahoma has her own quilt shop, so she had cautioned me about color bleeding! I cut a scrap of the red and put it in a glass of hot tap water. The water almost instantly was bright pink! I knew then I had a problem. I went looking for a dye-setting product locally -- I sent to almost every store in town, including Joann's, Hobby Lobby, you name it I went there. After all that exhaustive activity netted me nothing, I got on the computer and went on the Rit Dye website. Rit has a dye-setting product designed primarily for hand-painted fabrics. However, it works for commercially dyed fabric. It cost more to have it shipped than the product itself cost. But, I'm a believer! I tested the fabric, both before and after processing it with the product. Afterward, it didn't fade/bleed! I'm sold. I think I would still use color catchers when I washed it, but that's just a very cautious position! I'm glad the product you got worked for you!

Jeanette Frantz