View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 AM
eparys

Default Shrinkage in Freezer paper

OK - so who knew?? lol Thought I would pass this on ....

We had a presentation and workshop at guild last week on English Paper Piecing. One of the gals had finished (as she commented) her project of her lifetime - a King sized Grandmothers Flower Garden which hung to the floor. Her foundation of choice was freezer paper. As she was talking about the trials and tribulations of hand piecing such an enormous quilt - she commented on the distortion of freezer paper after ironing. All of us had that deer in the headlight look on our faces!! WOW - who could have even imagined this? Another GUild member agreed and talked about "pre shrinking" her freezer paper by stacking several layers together and ironing them.

I went googling when I got home - and found MANY hits about this. I am guessing for the few large pieces that I do this minuscule shrinkage would not affect my results. However in a large project where there are multiple small pieces all of which are connected to one another - this would be a problem as the sizes might be not as you anticipated. Also, different manufactures shrink at different rates AND in different directions!!

This was one of the BEST articles that I found .. so here is the link.

http://cedarcanyontextiles.com/freez...s-best-friend/