Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Rodney

Default Singer Model 101, a Model 15 and First Attachment Find!

I posted a bit about the machine I'm trying to get running for my daughter in the Intros section. It's a Singer Model 101 That I've had in storage at my parents' house for the last 20+ years. I oiled it up and ran a few test stiches. I'm still trying to adjust it for a decent looking stitch. Looks like it may be the top tension is still too loose, could be operator error too. I'm a complete newbee to sewing and sewing machines. The only other issue is a missing cover plate for the bobbin. Anyone have any advice on the stitching issue and does anyone know if the cover MUST be from a 101 or will others fit as well?

I bought the machine at a garage sale over 20 years ago so I could restore the cabinet on it, not necessarily to sew with. Now our daughter Olivia is 10 and has expressed a strong interest in sewing so she and I are bringing the machine back to life and will be learning to sew together.

Today while out and about looking for some grease for it I decided to swing by a couple of the local thrift stores. I didn't find the grease but I did find a "Made in Japan" zig-zagger for the princely sum of $1.99 complete with box and instructions and I also saw a beautiful older Singer in a cabinet for $20. I know, I don't even have the 101 running correctly yet or know how to sew but why should that stop me? I checked the serial# (AM590636). As near as I can tell it's a 1956 model 15 that looks to be in really good shape. The only issues so far are someone decided to "antique" the most likely beautiful walnut cabinet that it's in and it needs a bobbin. I went home and told my wife Carol about the sewing machine. I whined and wheedled for a bit and she decided to go ahead and humor me. After I got the daughter off the bus, we went to the local Goodwill and picked it up.
We've gone from one old sewing machine that needs some work to two and still don't really know how to use either of them.
Rodney