View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM
quilter2090

The idea that the only place to find good fabric is a quilt shop is simply not true. I bought a lovely pink flannel to make a whole cloth baby blanket with. I threw it in the washer and then the dryer as I do with anything made with fabric. I took it out of the dryer, took it upstairs and started to fold it to put it away. Thats when I noticed the flaw right down the middle of that lovely pink flannel. Well, there went my wholecloth baby quilt project. Darn it! I can still use it, but I will have to swiss cheese the fabric and cut around the flaw running down the middle of the fabric.The idea that all Wal-Mart fabrics are subpar is not accurate. I have bought beautiful fabrics at Wal-Mart and some fabrics that I liked less. I have bought beautiful fabrics at my LQS and I hve seen some fabrics that I really disliked. But to say that all Wal-Mart,Joanns,etc fabrics are subpar simply isn't the truth. The Wal-Marts near me have lovely fabrics,quilting fabrics,upholstery fabrics,apparel fabrics. Don't allow the quilt police to keep you away from Wal-Marts and others and only go to local quilt stores. Try any and all and you will gain experience and you will be able to judge for yourself. I don't mean that you have to buy yards and yards, buy enough fabric to make something small, a table runner for instance. Have fun and enjoy the process. There will always be people who ONLY buy a certain type of car, a certain type of appliance,a certain brand of clothes. Part of life should be trying new things. Good Luck!