Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
If you are comfortable with making basic units (FG and HST's) your way, keep doing it that way. I'm another in the camp of not buying more rulers, accessories, etc. than you absolutely need. I just don't have the room. And this is probably heresy to the scrap lovers here, but I don't cut down my scraps. I leave them as they are. Maybe it's just me but I keep thinking I'll need a bigger piece of THAT fabric for something else instead of a square of this size or a strip of that size.

I'm in the process right now of being totally confused and frustrated by cutting directions for a double star pattern. Bought the fabric for the project. Lady at LQS asked how big quilt was as she was cutting (should have been my first clue). Cut per directions. Now seem to have double the number of HST units I really need. And they are big (5") so probably a good 1/2 yd. fabric/color more than I really needed. Grrr. Will figure it out but frustrating in the meantime.
NJ, I totally agree with you on the scraps! you are the first poster I've heard say that you leave them be. So do I! Who knows what bit or piece will be just right when the time comes! Good luck with the "double-trouble" star