Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 AM
maviskw

[QUOTE=mpeters1200;6362495]I've always done patterns that include the measurements for the sew and flip method. I think I'm going to have to research it and make up a golden rule or something that tells me what size squares and rectangles and such to use. Maybe if I have it written down on something I can use it for reference and make the pieces according to sew and flip but assemble the quilt according to her methods. [QUOTE]

Just this last week, I found a site which gives sizes for each type of FG. There is a chart by the first three methods showing what size the finished goose will be, and the size to cut pieces for large and small triangles. Sizes are from 1"X2" to 4"X8". Maybe someone can find the site. I will try to look also.

Traditional: All triangles are cut and sewn together; small to large. Works fine if you like working with really small pieces and they are stiff as paper. All seams are bias edges.

Flip, Flip, Finish: Small squares are laid on rectangle, sewn on bias seam line, and corner is trimmed off. All those little triangle waste pieces cause a problem for some of us. We just have to use them somewhere else. LOL

Fast and Furious: Two small squares are placed on corners of larger square. Mark; sew; cut; press. Then two more small squares are placed on these pieces, and repeat the mark; sew; cut; press. Also called the No Waste method.

Paper-Pieced Geese: This method is not shown here, but a site to find the directions is here.

Eleanore Burns Method: This method is not even listed. There is a little waste, but they are very accurate after trimming.

I like the no-waste method myself.