Thread: confused
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

Tartan I agree. I did the same with my kids. The costumes were made so they wouldn't trip. One little guy many years back was grabbed but he faught and the "abductor" got punched when he found out one of the taller kids was actually a parent in disguise dressed as a devil who was even carrying a real pitchfork. My sister and I at the time were single parents and we took turns; one walked with the kids the other would drive. Move the car from one block to another. We always had a first-aid sewing kit and first-aid medical kit.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I avoided flowing costumes because of the tripping hazard. I imagine a flowing costume could also catch fire if it was near a flame.
With that being said, I made years of costumes from polyester/ cotton broadcloth. A few things I did....kept Dracula cape knee length and with Velcro at the neck in case someone decided to grab it and hang on. Same thing with Little Red Riding Hood' s hooded cape. White angel dress was a simple long sleeve dress with sleeves wide enough to go over a coat and gathered elastic at the neck.
You can't tell me the synthetic nylon/polyester store bought costumes are any safer than hand made ones.