Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Chris, I would give them a clone. They are easy to use and easy to maintain. They will hem or patch jeans.
Let's amend that to day - a heavy older Japanese zz or Kenmore with zig zag or hemming capacity. Maybe find a cheat sheet how to operate then laminate and attach to the table or case. I would look for one with over 1 amp motor. When I used to help out at a clothing/food pantry we had all kinds of needs to hem up pants or take something in/out a little so people could get a job. Not everybody goes through those places are going to stick around any longer than they have to. One guy was the curator from a foreign museum exhibit and very down on his luck. He was a persecuted Christian and pretty homeless or maybe refugee type mess. He just needed a suit, shirt, tie and some good shoes & socks. We fixed him up. He wrote my name in hieroglyphics and he spoke 30 languages. The guy he was with was in town for cancer treatment. We fixed him up, too. He had lost everything. He had been a foreign diplomat at one time. They stood out believe me. You never know who you are helping. We had a Singer 500 in there for patching things up. We also sewed diapers and skirts for people in other countries out of stuff nobody would haul away. I wish I could be there again. It was a load of fun. Always something interesting going on. My son got to help deliver leftover baked goods to the AA places with a guy who taught him never to take a drink. He never has that I know of. I can't say I gave as much as I got.