Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Sheluma

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sheila,
Some types of oil has a tendency to soften wood or so I've been told. Gun stock finishers use BLO ( boiled linseed oil) or Tru-Oil on the stocks. But it's made just for finishing wood.
I wouldn't use and don't use oil on my furniture. On the treadle I did the thread about I used the appropriate stain and then used shellac for the finish. After that I used Briwax polish to finish it off.

Joe
I've heard that oil softens (or over-softens) leather, as well. I think your approach is the safest. I've read that mineral oil (USP) is good for cutting boards, but they're in contact with water all the time and are usually not family heirlooms. (Though I do have a one-piece walnut board that my mom used for decades, and I want to preserve it.) I have made my own concoction of beeswax and mineral oil and used it on shoes and furniture that is not vintage. I melted the beeswax and then added just enough mineral oil to make a stiff paste. I used it sparingly and so far no ill effects but I think any damage that might occur would take a while to become apparent.