View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Macybaby

Red Squirrel, I have a 66 Red Eye with a back clamp that is around 1923, and a Red Eye Side clamp that is a year newer. I'm not sure if they are 23/24 or a year earlier or later, and I'm too far away from home to look it up right now LOL! I have seen manuals for the correct year showing the back clamp and side clamp, I've not seen any manuals for earlier 66's in the US showing the back clamp, so I'd assume any earlier Red Eyes with side clamps are converted.

The Red Eye decal was only put on US made machines, and it appears Singer went to the more basic decals way sooner for the K machines than the US made ones. I do not thing the 99 ever came with back clamp. The side clamp is what Singer used on machines predating the 66 such as the 15 and 27/28. The back clamp appears to be a hold over from the Wheeler Wilson machines when Singer bought them out. I've read that the 66 was a modified version of the 9W and that machine had a back clamp foot design, though a bit different than the early 66.

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-27-2013 at 02:54 AM.