View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I, too, have a problem with the seam tailing off the 1/4" seam at the end of each seam. I have really had to focus on watching the fabric and guiding it all the way through to the end of the seam. I never had this problem when I was sewing on a machine that was installed in a cabinet where the sewing surface was level. The way most machines sit up higher, with very little level surface encourages this tailing off feature.

I have learned, Slow down at the end and Watch, Watch, Watch until finished. Chain sewing has helped me. Having to stay focused on the next block being accurate, keeps me watching the first block going through the machine. I love sewing fast, but have found that this does cause the fabric to stretch when the feed dogs pull the fabric through and can produce a wavy seam line. To me, wavy is one or two threads too far or too close to the quarter seam. To compensate for this, I set my machine on a medium speed that I can't override with my "gas" pedal. That has been a big help.

Because I know I am not the most accurate sewer, I press every block very well and square up every single element in a block. It does get a bit frustrating when there are 12 or 16 HST's in a block, but at least I have a chance of making things fit together at the end. I do a lot of "scant" 1/4" seams to have the extra fabric to square up. Friends have recommended I try a 50 weight sewing thread that will take up less space in the seams. I'm going to Houston to the IQF and will be looking for the 50 weight cotton thread. I already know where the Superior thread booth is.

Big Block patterns have a lot of room for error. Keep this new sewer happy & she will make quilts she will enjoy, whether they are perfect or not. My grandbabies don't care. They just love them.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-27-2013 at 05:50 AM.