View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM
BettyGee

Default Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt

A friend gave me a large amount of fabric that were from her mother's stash. The fabric is from the forties and fifties. Buried in the pile were twenty Dresden plates. All hand stitched, raw edges on the blades and the center. They are gorgeous. I put each plate, wrong side down on a square of white fabric, turned it inside out and now have sharp finished blades. I then cut a circle to pick up the main color in each plate and sewed that to the center. I now have twenty gorgeous Dresden plates. I want to applique them to our black comforter which has signs of fading. So the plates would cover the faded places, but also make a beautiful new comforter. My question is; would you machine quilt the plates to the comforter? Would you hand stitch the plates to the comforter? It is a king size and working with on the machine will be a major feat, but sure would be quicker. If I FMQ the plates in place I wouldn't have to move the quilt so much and I'm thinking that would be more efficient. I will appreciate any and all suggestions.