Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM
SteveH
Banned

Default Rebuilding/repurposing an industrial treadle base and top

NO, I AM NOT making it into a table......

I have a Singer 13 "Medium". It is just like a Singer 12 but about 25% bigger.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443777[/ATTACH]

I was lucky enough to be able to by the bonnet lid that went with this machine.
(it is way wider than the standard Singer top)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443778[/ATTACH]

What I was missing is the "tailor" style treadle unit. Cathy (Mizkaki) to the rescue!!!
Cathy had a tailors treadle base and top that was in need of a new home and restoration,
This is a picture of one similar to what this unit looked like originally
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443787[/ATTACH]

The Tailors top is the one that has a left side lifting extension AND a back extension that lifts and slides to the left to make a large work surface.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443788[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443790[/ATTACH]

The only 2 negatives is that this table was made in 1889 (10 years after the 12) and it was originally made for a Singer 31 (with a knee lift no less).

The 10 year difference is no big deal (yet) but Meant that time base and top MAY get replaced someday with a more correct unit. Because of that I am trying to make sure that it can be "restored" to a 31 treadle is need be.

The main differences are:
  1. Hole for 31 is HUGE, Hole for 13 is smaller (actually helps)
  2. The belt holes for the 31 are way further apart than on the 13
  3. The machine hinges are completely different (13 uses flat rectangular hinge screwed to the machine, the 31 uses the round two holes to the top with a peg to the machine)

The veneer of the treadle top was damaged and lifting badly so I am removing it.

I have purchased a supply of oak veneer, but may have to buy something different to be able to match the coffin lid. I am working with a local woodworking supply place to get the best option on that.

The process of removing the veneer was interesting to say the least.

First I lifted off all I could without affecting the material underneath.
Second I needed to use a utility knife blade to get under the stubborn bits.

Once removed a quick sanding of the edges and these are ready for the new skin (when it arrives)

The construction of the core of these tables is cool. They used soft cheap wood in the middle with hardwood edging that when combined with the veneer makes it look solid hardwood
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-08-27-21.44.56.jpg   bonnet.jpg   singerindusttable001.jpg   singerindusttable002.jpg   singerindusttable003.jpg  

singerindusttable006.jpg   2013-10-27-14.44.22_sm.jpg   2013-10-27-14.44.04_sm.jpg