View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 AM
madamekelly

Default Sometimes the difference between a good quarter inch seam...

[QUOTE=ckcowl;6370749]don't put so much stress on it that you take the 'joy of creating' out of the sewing. some people really are not so - detail oriented - and techniques, workmanship will improve over time- if she is happy as a lark with her project/accomplishment its ok- most of us can look back to those first quilts and see how much we have improved over the years. I have a good friend who has been quilting *creates wonderful creative quilts* - every now & then she brings me one to quilt for her- she still has 1/2" seams in spots, & barely catching seams in spots, she just doesn't worry about the technical/precision part of quilting- and she is happy. when she mentioned that she kind of felt *in a rut* always making the same style/type of quilt so fast & being bored with them I 'kindly' mentioned maybe it was time to slow down, and concentrate on improving her techniques/ workmanship- maybe choosing something new that would be a challenge & help her to slow down...her last quilt was the best in years. sometimes it's just ok to let the creative juices flow & not stress over the *other stuff* if your 'girl' sticks with it & enjoys it she will improve- if encouraged 'gently'.[/QUOTE

When I first started making quilts I had a terrible time making things fit when I used the "build strata and subcut into sections' method. Sometimes none of my corners were perfect, and since I was making 'hugs' not heirlooms, I was OK with it, not thrilled, but OK.
I happened to have one of my smaller quilt tops with me one day ay my LQS, and mentioned my problem to one of the ladies that was there. She flipped my quilt over, took one look, and said "I think I know what the problem is...".
She pointed to my seams and said " You sew these 'strata' very quickly because it is a 'quick piece method', don't you?" I looked at her astonished and said yes. She then explained how she conquered the same problem. "Just because it is called quick piece, means nothing, slow your machine down, and with tape or some such marking the perfect scant quarter inch, sew at a slower pace, until it becomes a comfortable, easy job to make a nice straight seam. As over simplified as it sounds, it worked! Now I can even speed up and I will still get a nice even quarter inch seam. (I have a bright orange piece of duct tape marking the scant quarter inch on my machine bed that just lives there. I do replace it as needed.)
BTW- Never assume you can let your mind wander, while the machine is in motion! (Another fault I found when I first slowed down. Lol.)