Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM
noveltyjunkie

Thanks folks- I have taken a zillion pics but haven't uploaded any yet- sorry! I have decided to start by noting in an exercise book how each block is made and where each fabric is placed. I am surprised that that is what I felt like doing first, but there you go. It's like making a pattern, I guess, although I have no intention of remaking it. (I make have to remake some parts as a few of the finer dress making fabrics pop up torn in block after block- maybe I could find something similar and get them in there somehow. It is 9 x 10 log cabin blocks and after working much of yesterday and much of today I am on number 14!!! It will go faster from here as I recognise the fabrics (I have only had one block so far that didn't have a new fabric in it- I am up to 68 fabrics total in those 14 blocks) I am laughing at some of her tricks as fabrics which appeared to be different turn out to be small pieces cut from a fabric with a bigger pattern. My jigsaw puzzle skills were never more useful than they are for this project! So far the most poignant bit was looking inside (another!) split in her binding and seeing something brown in there. I feared the worst- insect- bit it was a knot in a length of brown thread. There was something very poignant for me about looking at that knot and knowing that my grandmother's hand made it, without the least idea that I would ever be looking at it. I'm sure she never thought of my future existence, but you never know- maybe that's why her own mother made her redo those centres- "your grandchildren may be looking at this 100 years from now" Roll eyes from teenage seamstress "mo- THER!!!"