Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Some times you just have to give it a lick an a promise.... Usually clean up isn't this bad. I threw out the bobbin case etc. This one I'm thinking I am going to have to pull the needle shaft and the foot shaft and give it an Evap-o-rust bath - possibly find a donor - that is if I can get the parts OFF the machine - if they moved I wouldn't need to remove them - maybe just knocking them a good one with the hammer... I have oiled it and I have scraped with the dental tool and used the string etc.... what ever dried on there is not the usual suspect. I may try to use a solvent on the surface - see if it is dried oil bonded with the rust. Something is really bad in there. At this point maybe use a dremmel tool??? The machine did not come in a case - so that may explain the horrid condition. That green oil did seem to dissolve the surface rust and lubricate it at the same time. I'm not sure about it but I had nothing to lose. Evap-o-rust is my first choice. But getting it in there... ? I have a special tool I use to scrape some stuff - it is the remains of a crochet hook minus the hook ground to a point. I love that stupid thing. The rest of the machine looks pretty good - a few blemishes but not bad. The tension is missing it's nut. I'm thinking maybe wrap some rags around the needle bar shaft and soak it in evap-o-rust? Anybody got some ideas?

Wilbur and Miss L were over to help me with that machine. We cleaned up the little circle plate from the back and I handed it to Wilbur with the screw and told him to put it back. He knew right where it went. It took him a few tries and some detective work with the magnet to find the screw he lost... But he was busy. Miss L cleaned up the nose plate and very proudly re-attached that. Then we cleaned up the bobbin stuff from the evap-o-rust and I had her re-assemble that stuff. She is catching on.