View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
BelleInBoots

Default quilts for christmas-questions

Hi I'm a newbie to quilting and have several questions. I have done some basic sewing before but nothing too complicated. Mostly pillow cases and baby blankets. A few years ago though, I made two small flannel "cheater quilts" with pre-patched fabric for the tops, and just fell in love with them. They are so soft and warm and cozy. I just love tucking my two babies in with them at night. My babies aren't babies anymore though and now there are three. :-)
So I would like to make them all twin size flannel quilts for Christmas. Just simple patchwork quilts with an outside border. As basic as u can get, right? so, first I need to know how to find quality flannel fabric that will last for years through sick days, leaky diapers & plenty of washing. Also, how much fabric etc will I need for each twin size quilt? and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can learn the basics. Just what I need to know for a really easy quilt. We've all gotta start somewhere, right?
So far I'm thinkin:
1. cut out patches
2.sew together in strips, and then sew strips together
3. Lay out backing, batting and top backwards, sew together & invert.
4. Close up hole and find some method of tacking (other than tied preferably)
5. Add on border. Or should I do that to the top before I sew them together?
But that sounds way to simple compared with all complicated instructions I'm finding out there. Am I missing some vital step? I'm sure that sounds incredibly clueless and Im terribly embarrassed, but I dont know anyone to teach me or where i should start to learn your wonderful art. so any tips or just a finger in the right direction would be very appreciated! Thanks for reading!!! - Christie

Last edited by BelleInBoots; 10-29-2013 at 07:36 AM.