View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 AM
profannie

Default Viking Husqvarna 6440

Hi,
Now that I have sold my Bernina 707, I can allow myself to buy a "new" one. To restrain myself, I have set as a rule that I can't have more than 5 sewing machine in the house at the same time, because I want to use them and since I don't have any clone of myself, I can't manage more.
Anyway... I saw an ad for a Viking Husqvarna 6440 coming with all the cams for 40$ (in a cabinet, but I can't take it). Unfortunatly, it`s the white, not the brown, but still a very nice looking machine IMO. There is very, very few in my area (saw only one about a year ago, and they were asking 175$). It was the seller's grandmother sewing machine; the seller's used it herself for a time, but haven't sewn with it in the last three years.
The seller told me that the machine have a tension issue; it forms loops underside the fabric. Because the price is so low and the cams alone are worth more than 40$ (from what I could figure on looking on ebay) of course I could just buy it and give it a try. But I hate getting a sewing machine a not being able to make it sew; I can't throw it away, feel bad about donating something that doesn't work, etc. So... is there any vintage viking owner there that can tell me what could be the issue: timing? thread nest? broken cam? Also, is there any information available to help me to work with this model? I have cleaned and repaired the motor of my Bernina, but never did anything related with tension. I like a new challenge, but I'm still a newbie and not an OSMG :-)
Thanks