Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM
QuiltnLady1

You have some type of internet access -- if you are not using dialup you can add a wireless router to your system and an tablet can connect.

You can buy the new Windows 8.1 tablets at places like Costco or Best Buy (they are made by Microsoft, Dell, etc) without having to buy a data plan (you must get a data plan with a smart phone) -- and you can go to places like Starbucks and use the internet when you want to read email, or the board. You can probably install some quilting software on the tablet (if it has enough memory), but many of these programs have not yet been adapted to a touch screen. I would get the version of tablet that is not RT, but that is my bias since I want compatibility with my other Windows computers.

I have a Kindle, and I love it for reading books but I don't use it for anything else since I don't want Amazon tracking my every move. I don't use any of the Goole based androids -- I don't want to be dragged into the Google tracking of my every move online. The Microsoft tablet will allow me to keep a low online profile and most of them have a USB connection that allows me to do things like plug in an external drive (like a DVD) so I can install some of my older apps. I am looking at the new tablets because they have longer battery life (the 10"-ish ones use the Haswell chip -- the # of the processor starts with a 4 so you can be sure you are getting the newest one). I know I am getting one for Christmas, just don't know which one I am getting yet. I need to be able to install the full Office set on the tablet since I will definitely be using this when I go to meetings and the like -- and I will be able to transfer things back and forth between my computer and the tablet easily.

Hope this helps.