Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Sunlover53 View Post
I have an IPad and have found it has been a very long learning curve to get to where I am today. I have always used a Microsoft product( nearly 25 years) and have owned my IPad for almost 2years. The drawbacks I see to the IPad is unfamiliar apps to replace some of the Microsoft programs such as office, I currently do not have a way to do any excel type work or even write a letter which with Microsoft at least you can use word pad. We bought a wireless printer so I could print to it as I have no port to attach it to. I can't use the software for my embroidery machine (Janome9700) because I have no USB ports on IPad. This last one is the most annoying. If I had to do it again I would stay away from Apple and buy a Microsoft product.
Although the IPad is convenient in size, there are numerous other systems coming out today that are just as compact and in my opinion easier to use than IPad. If you are unfamiliar with Apple products or don't have a good support person to help you to learn the system, I would recommend not buying an IPad.
WhenI bought my first computer, I wanted to get something 'Kelly proof' to learn on. I had used an IBM type computer for a little while, so I had some knowledge of how they work, but I wanted the built in security, you at that time, only got from Apple products.
I dutifully bought classes to learn to use it. My classes started in two weeks, so I just figured I would 'wing it' until then. Nine days later I got a very kind letter telling me that due to lack of interest, they were going to stop holding the classes! They did send my refund with the letter, but... So I have taught myself to use it, (with a few calls to tech support, good thing they are a patient bunch.)
Now, what I did not know was that in order to get an MP3 to have music to go, I would have to purchase another apple product. Also, in order to have my tablet interface ( talk to) with the computer, it had to be an apple product only also.
If I want any new music, I am limited to iTunes or buying individual CDs. (My daughter, who is strictly a Microsoft girl, can get music free all over the internet.)
Now having said all of that here is my two cents worth.- I am glad I bought my iMac, because it truly is dufus proof, going on eight years, and I am still learning new thingsit can do.
Tech support is a little spendy, so are the components, but software is really inexpensive to update, other updates are free and automatic. Apple people are easy to deal with.
My only issue with all my apple products is the initial cost because I am on a fixed income. DH is about to get a small Zeki tablet for Christmas, since all he wants to do is play games and surf the net. I am thousands of dollars (in payments) into my equipment, his will cost him less than $150. I will say there are lots of ways to get free help on the internet with Microsoft products. Just go to google and type your questions.
I do hope this has been helpful.

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.