Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Redsquirrel

To put my 2 cents in;
I'm Canadian and if I can get something that I want off Ebay from a Canadian I will. The shipping is way faster than waiting for it to come across the line from the States. That being said, there is WAY MORE stuff in the States and its almost impossible to find what I want in Canada.

But on the contrary, when it comes to sewing machines, it looks like us Canucks get a lot of european models that don't turn up to often in the USA.

As for your handcrank, depending on where you live, I would look on Kijiji or Craigslist in your area and just try to find someone selling a handcrank machine, if you have a Singer than try to find a Singer handcrank etc... You will almost never find just the crank on its own. I'm sure its possible, but I wouldn't count on it. I found a 99 handcrank at an antique mall in Edmonton for $80, great machine and I can use the handcrank on some other machines of mine if I wanted. But to be honest, I think I'm going to keep the crank on the 99, my 201 deserves electricity or at least a treadle and my 15-88 is going to stay on the treadle as well.
I've learnt pretty quickly that a hand crank is hard on your right shoulder and sewing for long periods of time is not really realistic for me that way. Any machine that's set up for hand crank I would only sew on for short bursts of time. I;m thinking a featherweight would be a great hand crank machine, but there is only a guy in the states making kits for them and selling them ebay from there.

Humm, I wonder if a Canadian should start up a business/distribution up here? Seems like handcranking is getting trendy.