View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 03:20 AM
miriam
Power Poster

I finally got a really old Singer walking foot. I went to Fort Knox and found the museum - in there they had microfilm patterns and blue prints of everything under the sun. I got blueprints for a wall tent and made two - the tents had awnings over the tents and one between the tents. The material was the old green canvac. I'll never do it again. NEVER. That material was like sewing on a crayon. I shook the whole time I sewed. I don't know it was the chemical or the insulation in the barn. The tents turned out well enough that two retired vets looked them over and decided that they were remarkably well preserved old tents. I've never seen the tents set up. It's been 10 or 12 years ago. The blue print was more or less a suggestion - I still had a lot of drafting to get it to come out right. Those tents had grommets everywhere. The sides of the tents rolled up. In the South Pacific that green canvas would get rather hot.... With following the blue print there wasn't a scrap left over when I was done. I'm thinking it was about 300 yards of canvac material for all of it.