Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Windblown

Default Red marker on wooden case-my great experiment

I bought a Jones CS hand crank the other day and the case is in very good shape except for RED marker on one end. I asked in another message about markers on the machines themselves but no one answered me, so I decide to go it alone. I thought I would share the journey with you, if anyone has any other ideas please share with me please. First pictures of the box itself, I think that I has a beautiful shape to it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]444320[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]444321[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]444322[/ATTACH]and here you see the problem, I took this photo after I had started the bad to glad story. What I tried first was rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. I knew that it would removed the finish and it did, but not much of the red marker.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]444324[/ATTACH]I decided to try Howards feed-n-wax, with fairly good results on the tiny spot and the rest of that side.
Next I tried Goof Off, pretty harsh but that marker in the wood is also. I tried to keep the edges uneven so the letter (a) would not show up. It was originally a i.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444323[/ATTACH]It worked but removed even more finish. A coat of Howard's again this time hand rubbed in. Good but I thought I could do better so I used some of those colored wood repair filler sticks. I used the one closest to base color then the black cross grain in the darkest of the wood grain, to try to blend it back to the original.[ATTACH=CONFIG]444326[/ATTACH] This is how it turned out so far, it needs several more coats of the Feed n wax but I am much happier with it than befor.
I will wait several weeks and give an update, because we all now that time can change everything.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails img_1279.jpg   img_1280.jpg   img_1278.jpg   img_1285.jpg   img_1282.jpg  

img_1286.jpg