View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 PM
hopetoquilt

I work as a speech pathologist in the schools. To be honest with you, teachers are often inundated with candies, candles, chocolates/cookies, coffee mugs, bath soaps/lotions, etc. the best gifts that i have seen have been gift cards for stores where they can buy themselves a small treat or get supplies for school. There are cute patterns for little change purses that you can make and put a gift card in.

My first grade sons teachers (inclusion class with a special ed teacher that assists the general ed teacher with math and language arts instruction) will get $20 gift cards. The related arts teachers will get a gift cert for a free hoagie at Wawa or $5 to dunkin donuts as will the teachers at my sons middle school. Maybe it is just the trend IN NJ. I asked the teachers I work with what their favorite gift is and they all said simultaneously, "gift cards."

On the other hand, I don't do gifts at any other times including end of year; instead, I write a letter to the principal and superintendent outlining all the wonderful things the teacher did to help my child. This is also greatly appreciated. I do this annually and the letter is well thought out.

So... Instead of the tissue holder, why not a little zippered wallet with a $5 gift card for a coffee shop? Here is a link for a pattern. I am sure there are free patterns too.

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewin...--wallet/12793