View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM
JulieB

Default Stack-and-Whack snowflake quilt

I finally finished a project I started 3? years ago. I wanted to do some stack-and-whack just for the fun of it, and I had 17 hexagon patches sewn. Then I put it away when something else more important came up, and never got back to it. So recently I was looking for something to do and I pulled out these patches. I didn't have a pattern or anything to do with them, so I started improvising. I used the "Stack a deck" method for the background, where I pulled out solid materials that matched the patches, cut curvy lines through the stack of material, shuffled them, and sewed them back together. It was a little bright, so someone suggested I mute it. I bought some chiffon to go on top. As I was working with the patches, they started to remind me of snowflakes in that each one was different, and 6-sided. So I came up with an arrangement I liked, and even put some patches in back of the chiffon for depth. I got them appliqued on, and started stitching snowflakes through the background to help explain my vision. Then I chose four snowflakes and stitched very tiny pebbles all through them so that they show up as a muted white. Overall, I had a lot of fun with this project. Usually my quilts are goal-oriented, so this was a nice exercise in having fun with my hobby. Hope you enjoy it too!
Attached Thumbnails img_1332.jpg   img_1339.jpg   img_1341.jpg