View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by tyoung View Post
Totally agree here. In our town we have a guild too, and as a new quilter I was hoping to learn from this group of women. I was close to 40, but my age wasn't the problem. It was because I was new. They were not interested in helping a newbie nor were they accepting of newcomers. I quilt going too, because I didn't feel welcome. I kept searching for help in other ways, and here I am six years later still quilting! Don't give up, there are many online groups (like this one) who are very excepting.
I had this experience with one guild here. It wasn't my age. I was well into my 40's but they definitely weren't welcoming to newbies. I did all the stuff that supposedly helps you fit in but I didn't. I finally just decided this wasn't the group for me and went looking for another. I found one that was great. The ladies helped me with my projects and I learned so much from them. Some groups are just more welcoming than others. Keep looking and you'll find one where you fit.

Some people are just very insecure and easily feel threatened, or just too narrow in outlook to take an interest in those who are different from themselves. I'm 59 and have friends in every decade of their lives from 20s to 90s. I learn so much from both ends of the age spectrum
I'm not sure it's always narrowmindedness or insecurity. People like people they have a lot in common with. That's pretty normal. It makes conversation easy. I'm past 60, don't have children and thus no grandchildren and love to show cars. I don't find many women that I have a lot in common with. But it's all right. I can sit and listen politely and make the correct responses and enjoy other's company. The world doesn't have to fit me and what I like for me to to enjoy myself. I've also learned over a lifetime of being decidedly different than my contemporaries that I sometimes have to be the one to find some common ground between myself and others.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-04-2013 at 03:26 PM.