View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM
J Miller

Rodney,

There is a small screw in the stop motion knob. Unscrew it enough so the knob will unscrew. Make a note of the position of the stop motion clutch washer. You'll want to mark it somehow to put it back the same way. I use a Sharpie marker and mark the washer and shaft.
Remove the hand wheel by pulling it gently off the shaft. There is a fiber gear on the back side of the hand wheel so just pull straight out, don't force it. If it's reluctant to come off float the shaft with oil and let it soak.
Once off clean the inside of the hand wheel and the main shaft with a suitable solvent. I use Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning solvent for that due to it's ability to cut the old varnished oil.

While you've got the hand wheel off you can check the drive gear and grease it from the inside too.

Tri-Flow grease is not for the motor. As we've discussed here many times recently, what makes Tri-Flow grease great for gears, the ability to stick and not be flung off, and not melt, is exactly what makes it inappropriate for the motors.

When I serviced the motors on my two potted motor Singers I used the old style Singer Motor Lube for both the motor and gears. Here's why. When you remove the screw in plugs at the under side of the motor and fill them with fresh grease it lubes both the motor bearing wicks and the gears. There is a divider in the the hole. Half to the gears, half to the motor. You won't be able to see the divider cos it's covered with grease. I only found them when I cleaned the 15-91 motor.
If you don't have any of the Singer Motor Lube I'd suggest petroleum jelly. Don't use the Tri-Flow grease. It took me a whole tube for my 15-91 as I cleaned it sanitary when I rewired it. For the 201-2 it took maybe a quarter of a tube, if that.

Try to find some of the old motor lube if you can. I think on of our Canadian members ... Archaic Arcane???? said she had some of the old stuff. You might try her and see. I could be wrong about it.

Hope this helps some.

Joe