Thread: power outage
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
EllieGirl

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Power goes out frequently up here (I say when someone sneezes or pulls on the extension cord to the next town). We are never without power for more than a few minutes now...we have an 8000 watt generator that we start up when the power goes down. One of the best investments we ever made. Has a key start (like a car), so even I can start it up.

Anita
We did that too!! In January 2009 the entire state of Kentucky was hit with an ice storm. We went without electricity for eight days. That was horrible! DH had electricity at his job so I went to his office, a construction site, and spent time there just hanging on the computer reading news. I also washed my hair there! I showered at home, but couldn't wash my hair, no way to dry it.

We lost electricity for days when we had bad storms in 2006, 2007, in 2008 hurricane Ike came through and we were without electricity for six days then. That was in fall so the weather was okay. But that January/February of no electricity, no heat was unbearable. DH & I invested in a stand alone generator that cost about $6000. It comes on automatically. We have lost power a few times for several hours but not for days.