View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
SlightlyOffQuilter

Default A New Nifty Trick

As most of you know I recently got a Grace machine quilting frame, and I LOVE it ! The one thing I DON’T love, is pinning everything to the leaders. Pins HURT, and I ALWAYS poke myself , ALWAYS ! So the other day I was looking at my Dritz basting gun, that I used at times to baste my quilts before I had the frame, and I had an idea ! I wonder ….

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445104[/ATTACH]
I used the needle just like I would use a pin, I went through both layers ( fabric and leader ) and then brought it back through, like I would have done with a regular basting needle !
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445105[/ATTACH]
Now I had a nice even hold …
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445106[/ATTACH]
I spaced them evenly ….

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445107[/ATTACH]
and whalla ! No poked fingers and a great hold !

Now I know you might be saying to yourself , those little barb thingys get expensive to use them that much like that, and they do, if you buy them in packs of 500 from say joann Fabrics or something like that , BUT, You can purchase them by the box on ebay or most office supply stores. Wherever you get them from you just want to make sure that you get 1/4 ” barbs.

Another alternative is to buy longer barbs, but you would need to purchase a gun with a longer needle to accommodate them. I am looking into this myself , and when my dritz gun bites it I am sure I will, but for now, this works wonderful and NO MORE POKING MYSELF !

And removing them just takes a pair of dollar store kiddy scissors to snip the plastic !
Attached Thumbnails dscn1829v2.jpg   dscn1828v2.jpg   dscn1830v2.jpg   dscn1831v2.jpg