Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
I have been hanging out in this section of QB for a while now and really enjoy the way you all share info and pictures.

I wanted to tell you a story though... one time I asked a Singer dealer/service rep how to get training on sewing machine repair. I was probably in my late 20s, had been sewing for half my life at that point and had no career other than raising my babies. He told me "it really wasn't the kind of job for a woman" and basically blew me off. Thinking back, he probably just didn't want any competition. But clearly he was WRONG! LOL
You bet repairs are something women can do but you sure never saw women work on machines back in the day. I was blown off way back then, too when I wanted to learn. I have had to figure things out myself. I thank God for the internet. Everybody here is so encouraging and there is such a wealth of info. I'm also thankful I can find parts and repair manuals! If you want to learn sewing machine repairs get a cheap old junk machine and take things off and put them back on. If you botch it oh well - we all have little boxes of parts to our shame... well maybe except Joe. But then you could also look at it as having a box of junk you can always use to keep some other machine alive and you know where those parts came from.