Thread: Mystery Quilts
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 AM
mckwilter

I have done several MQs from several different sources. Our local LQS had a teacher who did an MQ each month. In the 2 years I attended, I finished one top a month except for 6 or 7 sessions. Many of those quilts were gifted to friends and family. I have done an MQ from http://www.persimmonquilts.com/ which is a Quilts of Valor pattern, and I have done a couple Debby Caffrey MQs, a Charlotte Angotti MQ, and a Doug Leko MQ at retreats. Planet Patchwork also has MQs once or twice a year. This is one that I did about 6 years ago. I loved the waterfall effect that kept if from being a same old rail fence.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445225[/ATTACH]

I have found that you just have to take a deep breath, exhale, and go for it. Most MQs will have suggestions for fabric selection, and they are a great way to step outside your box and try something new (never done a '30's, Thimbleberry, Civil War? Go ahead and try it now.). The picture I have included below is a New Year's Planet Patchwork MQ from 1/1/2012 that I have just gotten back to <LOL> When I got to the last border, I realized my fabric was too light, so I have gotten a couple purple batiks that look much better and will finish it "sometime".
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445223[/ATTACH]

I've never done a Bonnie Hunter, and except for the QOV, don't plan to do another MQ for a while.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-01-01-mq.jpg   coffee-n-cream.jpg