Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Skyangel

I belong to a large guild, but I go with my girlfriend so I am never alone. They have both a morning and evening meeting on the same day once a month. We go in the evening as we both work full time. Once a year they have a joint meeting in the evening and it is a potluck with the annual awards. Most months we have a speaker that also teaches classes, and there is a workshop the next day. There is a short business meeting, and show and tell (which is voluntary and anyone can show whatever they want). Guests are wilcome and you can stay a guest as long as you want but there is a guest fee if the speaker is one they have paid for. Guests are introduced during the business meeting when the membership chair reports.

There are also several small groups that meet at peoples homes - and they will help you find one if you ask. I don't belong to any small group, I have been invited but have been too busy to date. The small groups sew together, the main guild meeting does not except in August when they have "Bolt to Bed" and everyone works together on charity quilts all day and evening. On odd-numbered years they have a quilt show, even-numbered years there is "quilt college" where members teach classes to members and the cost is minimal for 2 days ($15-20)

I can't imagine the rude behavior that the OP described. One's religion (or lack of) has no part in a quilting group! Find a group that fits YOUR needs, we do this for fun after all!