Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 AM
manicmike

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My #1 Singer 66 treadle came with one of those button hollers in a drawer. They work quite well on treadles.
Much better than the built in systems on more um .... modern machines.
Hi Joe. The only modern machine I've used was a 1970 Singer 498 which did (does, I still have it) have a built-in one. And you are right: The buttonholer doesn't work well (the reverse doesn't engage well enough, probably through wear - tried to fix it once). Followed the instructions on my 320k to make one and it's fiddly and nowhere near as good as any straight stitcher with any Singer buttonholer. Got a 1960s version a few weeks ago that takes cams for different shaped holes (the green plastic box) and there's no reason this won't work on any of my VS2/27/66/201/FW. Just realised I have multiple machines for every one of those models!
Has anyone ever tried a SS buttonholer on a ZZ capable machine? I assumed it wouldn't work because they produced the "professional" meant for ZZ machines.
On another topic, I made a romper suit from a 1950s Simplicity pattern (S27) and embroidered for the first time ever! Here is the result (used the 320k for the entire project except button holes). Incidentally, worst pattern instructions I've ever seen.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445476[/ATTACH]
The engine and cars are felt and the chains, wheels and smoke were embroidered using the foot that came with the machine. For my god daughter's son.
Attached Thumbnails romper_s27_completed_embroidery.jpg