Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Pagzz

I have worked in mostly male dominated professions all my life and I can tell you women are not worse than men on getting along.

Our guild is 120 -150 members. Dues are $25 per year. We welcome and introduce visitors and new members during our business meeting then we have show and tell and anyone is welcome to show their work. We have a speaker and if it is a nationally known one like Bonnie Hunter or Becky Goldsmith we charge visitors $5. We encourage new members to join a small sewing group or bee and we have one official bee keeper who assists them in finding bees that are open to new members or start a new bee. My best friends in this town came about because 3 of us needed a night bee and the beekeeper introduced us. She also found a location that would let us meet for free but we elected to rotate meetings at our homes.

I think we do a disservice to women and quilters when we spread our "horror" stories or fear. A smaller group can certainly be personality driven but my goodness going to a large guild meeting is rather like attending a lecture at a quilt show. If you go thinking everyone in the room needs to pay attention to you or you will be unhappy then you will be unhappy. If you go thinking "I wonder what this group is like and what kind of program they will have?" then I don't think you will be disappointed though you may decide it isn't your cup of tea.

I have been quilting since the early 90s. I have attended 3 guilds and enjoyed them all. I have attended many classes at shops and quilt shows. In all this time I have not had a horrible experience. Sure occasionally someone in class will be a little loud or demanding all the teacher's attention but I don't remember specifics. Let the pettiness wash off you and get on with life.

Last edited by Pagzz; 11-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.