Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I think it looks fine. Use your judgement on the size of your stitch. There is no rule to follow but what looks good to your eye.

When I do this stitch I look at the smallest pieces being sewn and adjust my stitch to look good on those. That stitch will also look good on bigger pieces. This does not work the other way around. A larger stitch may not look good on a small piece.

Also decide if you want to use the stitching as texture on the pattern or do you want it to be less noticeable or disappear into the pattern. You make this choice.

I think a standard guesstimate would be to catch at least four or five threads deep in the fabric piece for it to have a good hold, but I'm not sure about that.

I like what you are doing so far. You have a nice curve and neat stitching around the petals.

I am anxious to see the finished project. Oh! There it is, Lovely, very lovely.
peace
Thank you so much for the suggestions - it gives me a perspective on how to plan it out. I sure discovered big stitches won't take tight curves! I tried straight work doing the inner border - harder than SITD for sure! And I am doing the wavy ribbons now.

Should I get into quilting or let it be? When I sandwich it I might quilt it with echoes of the petals on the background, try making veins in the leaves, decorate inside the yellow center of the pointsettia. Now that would make it the most decorative thing I've ever done!

Ube so helpful Thanks much!