View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Pam B

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to just simply remember with love our traditions and come up with some new ones. I grew up ALWAYS going to my grandparents house for Christmas Eve dinner and gifts. 30 years ago, shortly after I married, my mother died and, at a time when I should have been excited about my new marriage and the holidays, I was thrust (as the eldest child) into a new situation. The only thing that remained the same was going to my Grand-dad's house on Christmas Eve. After he passed, we (my brother and I and our families) started the tradition of going to my Dad's house on Christmas Eve. Now, our children are grown and have significant others of their own....we are finding it difficult to continue getting to my Dad's on Christmas Eve. The best thing I do is get up early on Christmas morning, light the tree and some candles, put on some soft Christmas carols and reminisce in private...I reflect upon past Christmases with the loved ones I have lost over the years...my mom, one brother, all my grandparents, and most recently my MIL....then I have a good cry. Things change, we have to go forward...and this is how I do it.