View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I made a satin princess costume for my daughter many years ago. It ***is*** very slippery! I think it would look great in a quilt, though.

From my limited experience, here's what I recommend (1) Wash the satin before using. It shrank quite a bit. (2) Heavily starch the satin yardage before cutting. My method is to use a 1:1 solution of Sta Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" the starch on using a large wall painting brush, wait a couple of minutes to make sure that the fibers are saturated, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. This will make any fabric fairly stiff and will stop it from stretching and distorting as you handle it, plus it will make it easier to cut the fabric accurately.

If you have problems with accuracy when cutting, try pinning the yardage to paper first; then cut through both the paper and the fabric at the same time.

I would use Elmer's washable glue rather than pins.

If you have problems when sewing, try putting paper underneath (next to the feed dogs). I would imagine that paper made specifically for paper piecing would be the easiest to remove from the stitching lines, but probably any lightweight paper will work. To make removal easier, dip a Q-tip in water and run that along the stitching lines, wait a couple of minutes to allow the water to thoroughly soften the paper, then pull the paper away from the stitching lines.

Edit: Hmmmmm....... I may need to add a satin quilt to my bucket list......