View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Quilter 53

Years ago my daughter wanted me to make her a duvet cover using her stash. I was new to quilting and didn't know any better, so I agreed. She wanted me to use a paisley satiny synthetic, suede, washable velvet, and a velour. And of course, it had to be diamond shapes. What's a mother to do? I remember that my walking foot helped, wax paper against the throat plate, it tears away pretty well, and iron on interfacing on the satiny stuff. Wish I had used more interfacing on the other materials. Lots and lots of cussing and walking away. This was back before I had a sewing room, so the whole project took over the dining room table for months! DH was a good sport! Here's the results.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445864[/ATTACH]
Then a couple of years ago, I did something similar on a much smaller scale when I made this pillow for a friends 50th wedding anniversary. Same issues, but this time the velvet was the one that gave me a headache.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445865[/ATTACH]
This one has a stretch denim with gold threads in it, too.
So my best advice, go slow, walk away when you get frustrated, and have fun!!!! Your DH will love the results.