Old 11-09-2013, 04:04 PM
mlmack

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Hi Joe. The only modern machine I've used was a 1970 Singer 498 which did (does, I still have it) have a built-in one. And you are right: The buttonholer doesn't work well (the reverse doesn't engage well enough, probably through wear - tried to fix it once). Followed the instructions on my 320k to make one and it's fiddly and nowhere near as good as any straight stitcher with any Singer buttonholer. Got a 1960s version a few weeks ago that takes cams for different shaped holes (the green plastic box) and there's no reason this won't work on any of my VS2/27/66/201/FW. Just realised I have multiple machines for every one of those models!
Has anyone ever tried a SS buttonholer on a ZZ capable machine? I assumed it wouldn't work because they produced the "professional" meant for ZZ machines.
As long as the buttonhole attachment is for the correct presser bar setup, slant or regular, it should work whether the machine is straight stitch or zig zag. They all pretty much have the same mechanism, and only the exterior shell is different.