Old 12-06-2009, 07:34 AM
beginnerpiecer

Thanks for your reply! The book is Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts and I'm working on blocks A1-A8. Each one is a different technique. The first one says 1. Make 1 each of foundation patterns A,B,C. 2. Sew Foundation A to Foundation B. 3. Sew foundation C to foundation A/B press. In the back there are pieces to trace to make templates. So if I trace these pieces, can I sew right along the tracing line or do I have to sew a quarter inch into the tracing line?

Block A2 - This one says (I'm leaving out the colors to save space) 1. Cut 4 squares 2 7/8" x 2 7/8 inch. Make 4 quick pieced triangle squares. 3. Cut 5 squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". 4 Sew the block segments into 3 rows and press together. So would I just have to go a quarter inch smaller on all of the measurements, make a template and then sew along the tracing line?

These two blocks seem simpler but I'm wondering if this project might be too much for a beginner - there are 120 blocks total with all different techniques. Has anyone seen this book and if so do you think I'm in over my head? Thanks so much in advance for any help!