View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Edie

Miss Bess had surgery last Friday. Four days of pain pills (1 a day) and two pills a day of an antibiotic for a week. Last night I took a chub of Liverwurst (Braunschweiger) that I usually give her pills in (I cut out a little groove, put in the pill, cover it up and literally throw it in the air and she thinks she is getting something special) Well, last night I did exactly that, went to put her dinner food dish down and I heard a plastic bag. I ran like heck and there she was scarfing down 1/2 chub of the Liverwurst.......yellow cover and all. So now for the next few days she will be pooping yellow Liverwurst paper. Then, not five minutes later, she got into her food bin (which she opens with her sweet little lethal nose).

One Thanksgiving I had set some Ande's Mints on the dining room table, left the table to go in the kitchen, came back out and there she was with a mint in her mouth. You'd be surprised the adrenalin that can be pumped into an old lady's body trying to get a stupid mint with the cover on out of the mouth of an 84 lb dog.

To continue, I went over to pick up Mom and got back and my husband said how about a glass of wine before the kids come over and maybe give Bess a little taste (oh, about 2T). She'll be nice and calm when they get here. Oh, she sure was!!!!!! A few minutes later I heard this noise - sounded like Barf. barf! It was! She did! On the middle of the living room floor and in the center of all of this "stuff" was THE Ande's Mint, still neatly wrapped in the wrapper. That was about eight years ago. She's going to be 11 in January. Love her dearly, but heavens' to Betsy, you'd think I was starving the poor emaciated little puppy out of surgery (on her behind no less) five days ago. Actually, by the day after surgery she was back to her normal self.

I have come to the conclusion that this is normal behavior for a dog. Also, when I eat my dinner, Bess also sits and watches me, with drool just pouring out of her mouth. This is after her dinner. I don't drool like that when she eats, for crying out loud!!!!! Oh well, we love them, we take care of them, we raise our children from babies wiping up their drool, why not the dog, too?

We are in the throes of one more day of cold cold weather. I think it is around +10 right now. Then tomorrow we are back up in the 40's for the rest of the week. Lots to get done yet, outside. Can't think of a drooly dog then.

Have a great day, all of you. Edie